Thursday, November 4, 2010

Time For a Third Little Garrow?

As I sit at the hockey games and see Chase doing this:



 
and I think about how he's growing and how I love hearing him say, "Mommy! Watch me! Mommy, watch me!"  Or how he comes running at me with his arms out for a big hug and slobbery kiss.  It reminds of the days Cole used to do the same thing.  And now that Chase is almost 2 1/2, I think about how much I will miss this.  So of course, what question comes to mind other than "Should  we have a third Baby G?" 

When I think of the sweetness of a baby and toddler, the unabashed joy over the little things like seeing a plane in the sky or hearing a dog bark,or the endless hugs and cuddles, I can't help but feel that pang of wanting another. ( I was also one of those odd ducks who actually enjoyed being pregnant - once the all-day sickness was done).   When I hold my friend Lacy's baby girl, Colbie, (10.5 months) and see her smile with those little teeth and try with such determination to take those first steps I think, "I want that again!".

But THEN, we go to a hockey game and I feel exhausted from trying to keep Chase in his seat and Cole from wanting to go get popcorn and/or a drink. (Our seats are in the dead center of the row and the rows are so close together, there is virtually NO leg room, so getting out in the middle of the period is frowned upon by all those child-less people sitting around us.)  After some games, I feel as if I just PLAYED in the game myself I'm so tired.  And I realize that this is our life.  This will be our life for years to come. Sitting at hockey games no matter how crowded it is, is what we do.  Scott enjoys having his boys there to watch and cheer them on, and I enjoy being there cheering them on.  I did think that if Scott were to get a significant pay raise (ha!), we could get a babysitter and I could leave Chase home, but 1) there will be no significant pay raise any time soon, and 2) it's part of our life I don't want him to miss out on. 

Then there are the times when Scott goes away for 4 or 5 days, and I'm sure 3 kids would not help with my quest to maintain sanity while playing single mom.  So, what I'm trying to say is that I think we have been blessed with two happy, healthy, adorable little boys and that our family is complete.  Plus, how can another child be as perfect as Cole and Chase? Impossible! :o)

1 comment:

  1. I know some women who are so set and happy to be "done" ...and I've never understood it! I'm more like you. Although I hope we'll have more children (someday), even if we do, I have a feeling I'll never feel "so done", with no thinking about it, even if I'm happy and grateful for our complete family. Heck, I think I'll yearn for more when it is no longer biologically possible!
    Enjoy those two great boys of yours! I might be a bit biased, but I think two boys make a great family. :) And I think your family is lucky to have you being very thoughtful about these decisions.

    ReplyDelete